Apprenticeships and the Levy | COPA Apprenticeships

Search

Contact

COPA Apprenticeships
Mochdre Business Park
St David's House
Colwyn Bay
LL28 5HB

Tel: 01492 543 431
Email: enquiries@copaapprenticeships.com

Social Media

COPA Apprenticeships

Social Media

Amy hirschi uwpo02 K55zw unsplash

Apprenticeships and the Levy

Blending learning with work, apprenticeships are great for organisations wanting to boost performance and improve productivity. Employees develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours they need to progress their careers.

Introduced in 2017, the apprenticeship levy is a government initiative to fund apprenticeships. The levy was introduced to fund the government’s target of three million apprenticeship starts by 2020.

About apprenticeships

Apprenticeships blend learning with work. Viewed as a key element of talent development, apprenticeships have evolved to meet the needs of the modern workplace. At their core they combine working, learning and earning.

These days, 80% of the time on an apprenticeship is spent at work – employees complete work projects, applying their learning to their job. Employees also spend time learning away from their day-to-day role – with COPA Apprenticeships this could involve online or face-to-face learning or studying together with other professionals at residential courses.

Employees develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours they need to be successful and productive. More than that, apprenticeships set them up for the future – they give them the best chance of progressing their careers.

Amy hirschi uwpo02 K55zw unsplash

Apprenticeships can be used throughout organisations to develop skills and talent. They’re proven to have real impact: 86% of employers said apprenticeships developed skills relevant to their organisation and 78% reported improved productivity.

Apprentices can be employed at all levels and in all functions. There's a wide selection of apprenticeships available, from Intermediate level to the equivalent of Bachelor's and Master’s Degree level. https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide.

Our apprenticeship programmes are designed specifically for employees in head office roles and functions such as finance and marketing. Employees complete a qualification from the relevant professional body as part their apprenticeship.

Amy hirschi uwpo02 K55zw unsplash

Investing in your employees

There’s help available from the government to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment. The amount you get depends on whether you pay the apprenticeship levy or not, and the size of your organisation.

Pay bill of more than £3m a year?

If you're an employer with a pay bill more than £3 million each year, you could say you’re already investing in developing the skills and careers of your employees. This is because you pay the apprenticeship levy, 0.5% of your pay bill each month. The levy is paid to HMRC alongside things like income tax and National Insurance.

As an apprenticeship levy payer, you can access these funds through the apprenticeship service to spend on training and assessing your apprentices. The government will automatically add 10% to these funds for you.

Talk to us about making the most of this investment. We can help you realise a return by progressing the skills and careers of your central service teams.

Amy hirschi uwpo02 K55zw unsplash

Don’t need to pay the apprenticeship levy?

If you don’t pay the apprenticeship levy, good news - the government will pay up to 95% of the cost of training and assessing your apprentices (up to the funding band maximum – we will tell you more about this). You pay the remaining 5% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice.

If there are fewer than 50 people working for your organisation, the government may even fund the 5% for some members of your team. For more information on this, please visit: https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/employer/how-much-is-it-going-to-cost

Amy hirschi uwpo02 K55zw unsplash

I fully enjoyed this apprenticeship, it was challenging and fun. I got excellent support from my tutor and would recommend it to everyone.

Nwt white

COPA Apprenticeships is a trading name of North Wales Training, an independent training provider owned by Grŵp Llandrillo Menai (GLLM), one of the largest further education providers in the UK.